Wednesday 6 June 2012

Fabby Times & Fabby Friends

As you know, the last couple of weeks/months have been a bit of a yo yo, which I might add ‘the bit’ has to be the biggest understatement ever.   For those of you who don’t know me that well, this is where you will realise that I got the nick name ‘Mad Kazza’ for a reason, cos you just can’t keep this gal down.   Ok, so lately it seems all i’ve had is bad news or friggin hassle, but not anymore, cos I’m back, and all this good stuff started just a couple of hours after being given the shit news that the cancer had spread into all my bones with the exception of my 2 arms and 1 leg, when I went for the pub lunch with Pauline.
 
So where do we start with the other good stuff, Mmmm well let me think... Ohh yeah as if I can forget especially with this blog being totally based on what I am going to tell you... I received a text from a very good friend up in Scotland saying, “Hiya Kazza, what you doing Bank Holiday Monday?” with me being slow and all, totally blonde, even though I’m dark now, I text back “nowt much I’m boring, having you got anything exciting planned?”  Most of the British Population was busy organising street and garden parties for the jubilee celebrations, but Lee and I were quite content in having a lazy time and getting me fit and ready for when my new treatment starts. 
 
When you have great friends, it doesn’t matter where they live as Lulu and Gill had decided to do the Thelma & Louise Trip (a trip Pauline & I did last January), they were; get this....... ‘Driving down to My House all the way from Scotland’ now how friggin great is that.. Its more than great... it’s super duper fandabadozy frickin brilliant, and get practicing with the wine drinking time even though I’m not supposed to touch alcohol with the pain meds that I’m on.  
 
Well Bank Holiday Monday arrived, I was like a giddy youngster on Christmas Eve, Texting Lulu & Gill constantly throughout the day and then relaying onto Pauline, Gemma and Dawn, who were already at Pauline’s and drinking Vodka and Wine by 3pm. 
 
Laying back in the bath for a long soak when you have a bloody painful back, ribs and neck sure isn’t a good idea and then walking around in the exact same shape of the bath is not my idea of looking super hot on a night out, not to mention not being able to get my arms up to style the 1 inch of my extensively long hair... 90 yr old geriatric springs to mind, but at least I still had my rug as a backup.
 
The fabulous Pauline, Dawn & Gem dragged themselves round to my house by 5pm where we polished off (I think) 4 bottles of wine, whilst waiting for our Scotty Buddies to arrive sitting in the sunshine of my back garden, and of course gave us lots of opportunities for a photo shoot lol.  Dawn was half shot, Gem was totally off her rocker, Pauline to me had some catching up to do, and me!! Well, I had some serious catching up to do too, but didn’t want to overdo it in case the mix of my pain meds and alcohol didn’t mix too well.  As you can imagine there were lots of screaming and squealing going off from my back garden when our lovely Scotty Girls arrived with hugging and giggling going off constantly between sips of wine before we headed off into town.
 
 
 
I have to say that the whole evening was fantastic and sitting in an all you can eat Chinese Restaurant, complete with a scrummy chocolate fountain that we literally had to stop Dawn from going under head first later in the evening, was just the perfect place for 6 mad women, especially when we were seated at table laid out for 8.  It was the perfect setting and after we ordered 2 extra glasses and drawing smiley faces on 2 serviettes, our table was complete with our 2 absent friends Hazel MacSwan and Sharon Jenkins who sadly lost their fight to breast cancer, but will always be a part of us and be remembered always.  
 
You know, sitting, eating and drinking, I felt normal for the first time in ages.  I didn’t have any pain accept when I had to get up out of my chair and grab more food or walk across the floor to the ladies room, which I think if I had seen my reflection, I would have freaked cos I could swear I would have still seen the shape of my bath.  Serious conversation was like passing ships in the night, a rare thing as the laughter roured from us.  Lulu’s wig was going in all directions, mine I couldn’t care less if it was on backwards, and the amount we all ate, I am surprised we could fit through the doors as we left.
 
It was getting late when we left the restaurant, and headed for the pubs, stopping by at the Square Lions for a photo shoot opportunity, something that Pauline and I have to do every time we hit the town.  Normally the climbing up on the Lion is something that I have done time and time again with my kinky boots that had a 5 inch stiletto heal, but sadly since my back has gotten worse, Lee my very thoughtful hubby has thrown out ALL my heeled shoes.  Yup, all heals gone, dust binned, cappoof vanished to none existence, so not do I have to walk around with the 1 inch height loss from my spine compression, but look a dam lot bloody smaller without my heals, making me look like a bloody junior school child with wrinkles.  Every picture I tried to take of the girls on the Lion came out blurred from the jiggy laughing bit that my whole body was doing, from seeing Lulu trying to climb up on the bloody thing.  It was as though someone had smeared it with grease making it the main event of a ‘It’s a Knockout Contest’  up one minute and then sliding down again sideways the next, and at one point I even thought about charging the passersby to view the spectacle of seeing 6 nutty woman going mad with a lion.
 
Once we hit the pub, we got plonked down and took up residence for the remainder of the evening, ordering cocktails of Malibu mixed with Vodka and Red Bull and let me tell you, that Red Bull stuff really really works, and does give you wings, another one of them and I would have been doing the friggin can can off the tables and spiralling round doing the pole dancing thing in the middle of the room.  Ok, slight exaggeration there but at least my mind was working to even think about it lol, my body may not be capable of that now, but it would have been a damn good laugh if I had tried.  
 
Panic Stations.... Pauline realised that we had left Hazel and Sharon in the Restaurant.  Some hosts we were hey, having the girls down from Scottyland and losing half of em, especially when we had only been to 2 places.  Dawn came to the rescue and shouted at the top of her voice “There here in my bag” Hazel and Sharon were safe and joined us yet again for another drink.
 
Lee came to pick us up, from the corner of where we thought Lulu and Gills Hotel was, and after Lulu’s wigs did its rounds on everyone’s head and we’d hugged each other for the millionth time, Lee had the very brave job of driving us home.  Its amazing how conversations flow when alcohol is in the equation.   Poor Lee had to endure the topic of pubic hair loss through chemo from Dawn, Gem and Pauline, poor bugger, I couldn’t stop laughing and I know it had a great impact on Lee as he kept asking me which one kept talking about pubes for most of the following day.
 
I can’t believe that I had my Scotty Buddies at the wrong friggin hotel, but luckily they didn’t have too far to go and after a nice alcohol free lunch the following day my lovely girls were headed back for home.
 
 
I had a fantastic time and really appreciate Lulu & Gill travelling all that way to see me and I totally understand why they wanted to come, because I did the long 7 hour journey myself for the same reason last year.  When someone you love to bits, has news that isn’t good, especially when cancer is concerned, you panic and just have to see for yourself that they are indeed OK and not just saying it over a phone line.  I did it with Sharon, and I am soo thankful that I went through to see her as it was just 3 months later we lost our shining star.  Its times like this that you realise who your real friends are, each of these girls have stuck by me every step of the way, through the bad as well as the good, which of late seems to have been that a lot of friends have disappeared whilst I have been in a bad place.  I know I may have removed myself from them, but I stand by my decision, a true friend will keep bugging you to submission, just like my valued friends have.  
 
Thank you girls, its was just what I needed and I wuvs ya trillions xxx
 
 

2 comments:

Titus 2 Thandi said...

Hurrah for good friends!!

Unknown said...

Ooh there the best medicine ever Thandi xx