Sunday 3 June 2012

Bone Metz Gone Mad !


The thing with medical reports is you just havn’t got a bloody clue what they are talking about.  Ok so we know that I have further progression, but where is the further progression.  Saying ‘Hemipelves’ to me means diddly shit, and so I was very lucky that this lovely oncologist took time with me to explain what everything meant.  Today also taught me why there are so many delays with appointment times, because even though I was 2 hours late getting in, I didn’t leave the hospital until 4pm and spent approximately one hour with my oncologist.







CT Scan (But need a new one)
I was told that there was slight progression, but to see it in writing shows me what is actually happening.  This report is compared with the previous scan dated on the 1st March 2012.  the biggest lesion on the right lobe is 13x11mm and a new large lesion measures 11 x11mm.  So it’s not too bad, they are still small.
There is some emphysematous change in both lungs particularly in the upper lobes, which means; there is an abnormal increase in the size of the air spaces in my lungs, resulting in laboured breathing and an increased susceptibility to infection.  There is no evidence of metz.

MRI of Spine
Spinal surgery between C2 and C4 is noted with no significant change in the appearance compared with previous Scan image.  This means that my metal bionic parts are still intact.  This report states that there is Extensive bony metz disease throughout the spine including the lower thoracic and lumbar.  The appearance of disease has progressed with an increase in size and number of metz.  Degenerative changes are also present in the lumbar and a mild prosterior disc bulge at the L5/S1 vertebral level.

Whole Body Bone Scan
There is multiple additions of increased activity consistent of bony metz.  Even though my oncologist went through this with me, my brain could not hold on to the information and so with the wonders of Google I have been able to pin point where the metz are. Sites involved include; 

The skull vault and the whole of my spine all the way from the Cervical to the Lumbar.  Both Sacral Alae, Both Hemipelves including the Acetabulum, Ischium and inferior pubic bone and iliac bone, some big meaningless words there aint there to us normal none medical folk, anyone in a nut shell they are all in the hip area of our big skeleton.  There is also disease in the Left femur (top leg) in the intertrochanteric region, which is in the top part and femur head is affected, which again is all closely tied to the area of my hips.   Increased activity is seen in left coraacoid and gelnoid protions of my left shoulder and further area of focal uptake is seen at the left suborbital ridge, which is the bony ridge located above the eye sockets.  There is activity in right, acetabulum and ischium extending into the infereiour pubic remus, which again is all in the hip area.  My left sternoclavicular joint represents degenerative changes which is the joint between the sternum (chest bone) and collarbone.  The cancer has also progressed to the bilateral ribs.

So there we have it.    As soon as my oncoligst told me places, it explained to me what had been happening.  You see, I have complained about my left  hip especially over the last couple of months, and said it felt like my hip was going to dislocate, this is the side that it is in my femur ball.  Unfortuanetly CT scans just don;t show up bone properly.  Then there is the times that I have been in hospital for pain in and around my chest, I have had scans on my lungs, but maybe some of the pain that I had and defiantly the pain that I am having lately, is connected with the bony metz of the ribs.. I can’t sneeze cos it bloody hurts and I can’t cough, but yet I can take in long shallow breaths that don’t effect me, as the pain that I have doesn’t seem to feel internal.  The pubic bone area for example, intercourse has been a little uncomfortable, so again is this why.  Then there has been my latest moaning of having migranes without the headache.  No headache appears but yet my left eye, becomes blurred and I get that tunnel double vision, stars moving around like nutters, making it impossible to see due to them being right in the line of sight.   It doesn’t last long, maybe between 5 and 30 minutes, but it is so bloody annoying, especially when I can’t see my iphone to check my facebook ha ha.  (have to get my priority’s in order don’t I)

--------------------------

The news of my results, shocked everyone, and I am please and thankful that my mum held it together for me when I phoned her.  I tried to make it as light hearted as possible whilst telling her and used her knowledge of being an ex nurse (which was before I was born) by trying to read out the blooming great big medical jargon that was typed up on the report.  I think it lightened the mood and rather than my mum thinking Oh crap, she had to use her brain on trying to think of where the areas were.  Good side tracking me thoughts.  We had a bit of a giggle too, Have you tried saying these words out loud, and on top of being super dozily drugged up on morphine meds, I finished up having to spell the fookers. 

Lee took the news quite well, and for the first time posted on his facebook, asking for his friends to say a prayer for me.  Big huge turn around here, as when I met Lee all those years ago in 2003, he wasn’t what you call a believer.  He beloved and didn’t believe if you know what I mean, he was more of a person that needed proof that things existed, he need to see things, but for this last 5 yrs, his whole attitude has changed in that department.  I would like to thank his friends for their comments to him; you really did make a difference.  I would also like to thank all my fb friend too not to mention my mum and family and my special little circle of amazingly close friends.  I know it’s times like this it’s hard, but as I said, it wasn’t all bad news.  The good news is that I can start treatment to start killing off my squatters and the super duper good news is that the progression is still in my bones.  Better there than going out of control in my liver or spreading to another organ. 

So after talking things through with Lee and then after my phone call with my mum, what did I do next.  Did I sit and dwell on the fact that the bone metz has gone mad.  Yeah I’m not chuffed about it, who would be, especially with the skull part cos its a bit too close to my brain for my liking.  Did I then call the next person on my list to of contacts to be informed?  Nope, I left my mum and Lee to do that.  I did what I do best.  I got changed, put on a bit of slap and went to the Pub ha ha... Pauline picked me up and we went to the bloody pub for a carvery and a huge glass of wine.  Now thats how you do it aint it.   We had a fab time, chatting and stuffing our faces with 3 different meats and tons and tons of veggies all topped off with a Yorkshire pudding and onion gravey.  Thank you Pauline, your a star.   

Whilst am on the thank you moment, I have to thank my sexy gorgeous hubby, he is the most perfect man I have ever had the privilege of knowing, I have no idea how he has put up with me especially over the last month or so cos I have been one super bitch with a biggest anger management problem ever.  He has took it on the chin whilst I have snapped at him for no reason what so ever,  he has listened to me moan, stood there whilst I ignored him (not on purpose but when my mind has gone elsewhere) but yet he has not moaned about my behaviour once.  He smiled and given me comfort at all times, he has done all the housework, done the shopping, taking the dogs out, the list goes on and I just wanted to say that I am the luckiest woman alive to have such a kind, considerate, sexy, gorgeous husband.  And Lee, I love you with all my heart MmWhaaa xxx

2 comments:

Sharna x said...

You truly are amazing. Your strength and courage is an inspiration. Fight on and live life to the max x

Unknown said...

Thank you Sharna and I will do xxx